Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy New Purse Day to Me

I have this problem with messenger bags. If I see one, I want one. I don't know what the appeal is, I just happen to really like the style. REALLY like the style. I found this tutorial for an Explorer Messenger Bag. The idea was a bag for a boy to put all of his things in while he goes exploring. I can relate to this, because Zack loves to haul EVERYTHING around with him. The more toys he can fit, the better.

I know, you're wondering what this has to do with the title regarding a new purse for me. Well, the pattern seemed simple and quick enough to work up in a few hours (and it was!), so I thought I would make one for myself. I had some denim in my stash and I was planning on making some twisted fabric flowers to go on the front flap. Then I remembered the brocade fabric I came across as I was digging through boxes the other day and thought what a great lining that would make. As I was sewing the seams, I kept thinking it would be so great if I had done piping with the brocade. Another idea for the next bag.

The brocade fabric choice led to a new problem. Who puts cotton flowers on a bag with brocade fabric? Dilemma. I decided to try to make a different kind of flower from the brocade. It turned out great! I almost wish I had done another petal or two. I finished up and decided it needed a great big, gaudy, gold button. Completely out of my normal style, but I love it! You people who are naturally ornamental won't think this is gaudy at all. I must admit, my choices were limited and this wasn't quite what I had in mind when I left for the store, but it is fairly ornate for me.

I added a pocket to the bag and already wish that I added one on the inside as well. Next time around. You know, because I REALLY like messenger bags, so you know I will make another one. Maybe from another tutorial, or from this same one. Time will tell. Since I had all of the fabric on hand, this project only cost me $0.75 for the button. On to the pictures. Bask in the beauty!
All ready for it's first time out-- a trip to Tai Pan with the wonderful Root girls.


1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to make a messenger bag for my little boy to go along with his paleontology room. You have inspired me to actually try to get on that. And 75 cents!!! That's my kind of project. Awesome! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete