Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Things We Love BOM

I have already mentioned that I am participating in the block of the month quilt offered up by Among the Gumtrees this year. I spent this last weekend working and have completed the first two blocks. I didn't press the blocks before taking pictures, which I'm regretting a bit now because the words aren't easily read pre-pressing. Can you blame me, though? I was excited they were finished and ready to post about. There are a few mistakes that I knew better than to make and there are some things I may change (still not sure about the sequin behind the bird's eye. I may just find a black bead but I didn't have any on hand when I was working), but here are the blocks.
I'm still debating about what to do for my sashing. I think that I am going to do a pieced border around each block rather than just a plain sashing. I was thinking about a saw tooth border, but then that will turn into a flying geese look that I'm not sure I want to bother with, because the geese won't all match up fabric wise without planning. Maybe I wouldn't care that they don't match up? I'm still pondering the possibilities and coming up with more.

If you want to make your own version of the quilt, check out Among the Gumtrees for the pattern. A word of advice: these blocks are REALLY small. If I had it to do over again, I think that I would enlarge mine a bit, simply for the ease of using a larger hoop than can fit on these small blocks. Or attach your border/sashing before embroidering. Since my border is still up in the air, that didn't work out for me. I am very excited for the end of the year when I will have this visual reminder of blessings and things I love ready to hang on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment