Friday, March 12, 2010

Pompous Knitting Rant

I've crocheted for 14 years now. Mom started to teach me how to knit years ago (before I learned to crochet) with a pair of slippers. I completed one slipper, have the second at least 2/3 finished, and gave it up. Somewhere in my crafty clutter I have those slippers in that same condition. One day I'll pick them up again and figure out how to finish that last slipper, which will probably not fit my foot now.

While we lived in Tennesse, I had a difficult time finding crochet patterns but found oodles of knit patterns. I stocked up. When my sister announced I would be getting a niece 2 years ago, I used one of those patterns and completed my first knitting project: a cardigan for my niece, Lena. The pattern called for cashmere yarn, which, of course, costs a lot of money! I debated back and forth about it, knowing from experience that baby clothes get everything gross thrown/spilled/oozed/etc. on them. I gave in and bought the yarn, thinking that at some point in her life she ought to have a cashmere sweater. Note: my brother-in-law is a penny pincher, and my sister isn't picky about fashion, so I knew it would never come from them. Second note: I am still waiting for MY cashmere sweater, since I can't justify paying the price for one for myself. I will probably never have one for me, but it just seems like something lovely that every girl should have at least once.

Now that I have knit a bit more and want to continue knitting, I am noticing a pattern: knitters are a bit stuck up. Nearly every pattern I find that I love calls for expensive yarns. Nearly every blog I read or knitter I associate with uses only these expensive yarns. People who crochet, however, openly admit that they purchase the less expensive yarns-- often the cheaper the better. That is not to say that they do not use the more expensive yarns on occassion, but it doesn't seem to be required to participate in the craft.

I am experienced enough with crocheting to feel comfortable switching yarns and know the resulting product will be to my satisfaction. However, every time I attempt a knit pattern with a yarn other than what the pattern suggests, things fall to pieces. The gauge is too small, but if I switch to larger needles then it becomes too large. . . things curl. . . things stretch where they shouldn't. . .

On the one hand, crocheting works up very quickly and is mostly a no-brainer for me; knitting takes much more time and more thought, as I am probably still a beginner. I think that I should be able to justify buying a more expensive yarn for something that will take me longer. Then I think about cost of time. Doesn't that account for enough extra money spent? Shouldn't that reduce the cost of the yarn? Not to mention the fact that there is one store within driving distance that sells these "nicer," more expensive yarns, and they haven't had the type of yarn that I've wanted. Should I use these yarns, I end up having to pay the extra cost for shipping and I have to wait until it arrives to start my project. I have this nagging at the back of my mind (in my grandmother's voice, so I know it's true) that tells me that expensive does not mean quality. You can find less expensive yarns that work up just as nicely for most projects.

I am also tired of buying knitting patterns at shops, only to find that they carry none of the yarns mentioned in the patterns and none of the sales associates know enough to help me select a similar yarn. If you don't carry the materials I will need for a project, don't sell the pattern and get me excited to make it!

So please, genius knit-pattern-designers (who I really AM thankful for, since I was not blessed with the ingenuity required for creating patterns and designs), would you use some less expensive, more accessible yarns for me? My budget just does not include spending lots of money to feel successful at this new craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment