Saturday, July 9, 2011

Swim Robe

Swim/beach robes are very popular right now. I first found them on Made and when I decided that I would make one for Zack, I went there to purchase her pattern, only to find that the largest size was a 4 and I figured Zack would need a 5. I looked through patterns at JoAnn's and found a McCall's pattern (M4643) that was similar and McCall's patterns happened to be on sale for $.99 each. Score! I let Zack choose a beach towel at Walmart (carefully steering him away from ones featuring large pictures such as Transformers or Spiderman. . .), bought 2 for $3.84 a piece, then went to work cutting them up. The pattern ended up only going as large as a 4, so I added to the pattern to what I guessed would be a 5.
He's loving his new "suit" and has worn it all day. Not too bad for my $10 investment, especially considering I've seen other blogs talk about creating them because store-bought versions are running as much as $70. I love that I can put it on him when he gets out of the pool and it will stay on him.
It ended up being a bit big, but that's fine because it will hopefully work for this year and next that way. I'm glad to know he'll have something that will be easy to put on and take off, something to keep him warm when the wind picks up and he comes out of the cold water at Bear Lake next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment